NFL Draft 2017: Ohio State CB Gareon Conley releases statement denying rape accusation
Ohio State cornerback Gareon Conley, a top-tier prospect for this week’s NFL draft, released a statement through his agent Wednesday denying a rape accusation.
A woman accused Conley of raping her in a Cleveland hotel April 9, according to a police report TMZ obtained earlier this week. Cleveland police have not filed charges against Conley, whom many pundits expected to be a first-round pick in the draft Thursday night.
Some experts predicted before this week that the Philadelphia Eagles would draft Conley with the No. 14 overall pick.
The accuser told police she met Conley in the hotel elevator at about 3 a.m. April 9 and that he raped her after she turned down an offer for group sex, according to TMZ. TMZ’s report notes that two of Conley’s friends told police they were on hand and said Conley and the accuser were together, but that the rape did not occur.
Here’s the statement from Conley’s agent:
A statement from the agent #OSU CB Gareon Conley pic.twitter.com/KrM3KFbmUP
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 26, 2017
Conley was scheduled to attend the draft in Philadelphia this week, but reports yesterday said he decided not to come to the city after the rape accusation became public.
Philadelphia Eagles coverage on PennLive