NFL draft 2017: Complete visitor’s guide for all the fun in Philly this week
It’s finally the week of the NFL draft. After months of preparations and weeks of construction, the NFL’s future talent will flock to the Philadelphia Museum of Art on Thursday night to officially move on to the next level of football. It’s a much-anticipated event with plenty of fanfare, and the NFL is planning on having plenty for everyone on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway.
Here’s a guide to activities and other information that could come in handy later this week.
NFL draft schedule & TV
- Thursday, April 27: 8 p.m. (NFL Network & ESPN)
- Friday, April 28: 7 p.m. (NFL Network & ESPN)
- Saturday, April 29, Noon (NFL Network & ESPN)
NFL Draft Experience hours
- Thursday, April 27: Noon to 11 p.m.
- Friday, April 28: Noon to 11 p.m.
- Saturday, April 29: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
NFL Draft Experience highlights
- Full NFL Draft Experience schedule can be viewed here.
- A map of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway can be viewed here.
- Thursday & Friday, 3 p.m., Saturday, 10 a.m.: Autograph stage
- Thursday & Friday, 4 p.m.: NFL flag football clinics
- Friday, 4 p.m.: Ron Jaworski chalk talk at Tostitos Cantina
- Friday, 5 p.m.: Musical performance by Cayetana
- Friday, 7 p.m.: College flag football tournament
- Friday, 7 p.m.: Musical performance by Chill Moody
- Friday, 9 p.m.: Musical performance by Strand of Oaks
- Saturday, 11 a.m.: Zach Ertz chalk talk at Tostitos Cantina
- Saturday, 3 p.m.: Musical performance by Tunji Ige
- Throughout: Eagles equipment manager and strength coach demos
NFL draft: 5 notable moments from past Philadelphia Eagles drafts
Fan Mobile Pass
The NFL Draft Experience’s Fan Mobile Pass is needed to take part in certain interactive games in the NFL Draft Experience. Here’s more on that. It is not required to enter the NFL Draft Experience.
The Foobooz blog has a nice list of some vendors expected to set up shop on the Parkway this week, as does Eater.. There will be soft pretzels, cheesesteaks and water ice. What more could you need from an event in Philadelphia? Of course, it might be a little pricey.
- Free parking is available at Citizens Bank Park and Wells Fargo Center off I-95 and I-76 in South Philadelphia
- Attendees are encouraged to ride SEPTA’s Broad Street Line from AT&T Station to City Hall (about 11 minutes) and walk to the entrance of the NFL Draft Experience (7 minutes)
- NFL Draft Experience entrances:
- Gate 1: N. 21st Street and Benjamin Franklin Parkway
- Gate 2: N. 22nd Street and Benjamin Franklin Parkway
- Gate 9: N. 22nd Street and Pennsylvania Drive
- Taxi service and Uber/Lyft are available
- Philadelphia’s bike share program, Indego, is another option
- discoverPHL has more travel information here
Here’s one way to score free tickets to the NFL Draft
There are a number of road closures in the area around the Philadelphia Museum of Art and Benjamin Franklin Parkway. Here’s a complete list and information on those road closures.
With the draft in town, a number of different museums, bars and restaurants have special deals scheduled. An extensive list can be found here via discoverPHL.com.
There will be a 100-yard zipline at the NFL Draft Experience.
High school seven-on-seven tournament
- Eight local high schools will participate in a single-elimination seven-on-seveon tournament at the South Philadelphia Supersite (2926 S. 10th Street) on Friday at 6 p.m.
- Current Eagles wide receiver Jordan Matthews and former Eagles wide receiver Jason Avant will be there.
- The final two teams remaining will participate in the tournament final at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Play Football Field at the NFL Draft Experience.
- The winners will be on stage for the Eagles’ seventh-round selection Saturday afternoon.
- The participating high schools are: Downingtown West, John Bartram, Malvern Prep, Methacton, Simon Gratz, South Philadelphia, St. Joseph’s Prep, West Catholic
Other Philadelphia happenings
- Track and field: Penn Relays at Franklin Field, April 27-29
- Baseball: Philadelphia Phillies vs. Miami Marlins at Citizens Bank Park, April 25-27
- Fans wearing their favorite team’s NFL jersey can get $15 tickets at the Phillies box office
- Arena football: Philadelphia Soul vs. Baltimore Brigade at Wells Fargo Center, April 29
- Museums on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway will be open (more here)
- discoverPHL has a FAQ section on its site
- Here’s the NFL Draft Experience site from the NFL